In phonics children are taught to:
- learn to read and write letter-sound correspondences quickly
- decode effortlessly, spell and handwrite easily
- comprehend what they read
- read with fluency and expression
- write confidently using oral rehearsal
- work effectively with a partner to articulate their learning at every step.
Five key principles underpin the teaching in all Read Write Inc. Programmes:
- Participation - our teaching strategies ensure that all children participate fully in the whole lesson – there is no chance for children to lose concentration and miss key elements of the teaching
- Praise – children work together, as partners, taking turns to teach and praise one another and they are motivated by the focused praise they receive from teachers and teaching assistants
- Pace - a lively pace keeps all the children fully engaged
- Purpose - teachers know the purpose of every activity and how it leads into the next
- Passion - it is easy for teachers to be passionate about their teaching because they see their children make such rapid progress.